
Andy Burnham has shrugged off queries about how the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be protected once they return to the UK.
Harry and Meghan moved to the US in 2020 after choosing to step down from their royal duties but will be relocating to a non-royal residence outside of London later this month.
Advertisement
The Duke of Sussex, who is fifth in line to the British throne, lost a legal challenge over how much state-funded security he and his family are entitled to while in Britain last year.
His trip to the UK last month was even put on hold briefly after his request for policy protection was rejected.
The revelation that he is now bringing his wife and two children back to the UK has therefore come as a shock.
Advertisement
When asked how the non-working royals will be protected while in Britain, the prime minister said their security a “private matter”.
“Well, this is a private matter,” he told reporters while on a visit to West Yorkshire. “It’s a matter for for Harry and for Megan, and we wish them well in the moves that they’re making.”
Education secretary Lucy Powell also told LBC: “I think that the vast majority of your listeners will welcome that news and – they obviously are not working royals anymore – and want to come back to this country.
Advertisement
“I assume because we do have great schools, great education, that’s why many people do return to this country and choose this country to bring up their children in.
“And I hope that this is all part of a bigger reconciliation for the family because you know the royal family is very important to this country and to our reputation around the world, and you know I for one think it’s great to have Harry and Meghan and their family back here.”
Harry and Meghan’s children, seven-year-old Prince Archie and five-year-old Princess Lilibet, are in the line of succession behind their father.
Advertisement
They have been enrolled in a British school from September onwards, suggesting the Sussexes intend to be back in the UK for the long-haul.
Harry and his family went to visit his father King Charles in July in Highgrove, though it’s thought their move back to Britain was not discussed.
The monarch was reportedly only told about their decision to relocate on Sunday, though he is said to welcome the idea of seeing his family more in a personal capacity.
Advertisement
Harry and Meghan are expected to continue living as private individuals.
Their return to the UK comes six years after the Sussexes dramatically fell out with the Royal Family and moved across the Atlantic amid heightened press scrutiny.
While the couple’s relationship with Charles and his wife Queen Camilla appears to be on the mend after their July visit, it’s unclear if they have built bridges with the Prince and Princess of Wales.
The King had not see his grandchildren for more than four years prior to the Sussexes’ trip earlier this summer, and the Duke of Sussex previously said security fears had stopped him bringing his family to the UK.
Advertisement
Harry and Meghan have not been seen publicly in the UK since they attended the 2022 funeral of Queen Elizabeth II.
A Home Office spokesperson said decision on the security of royals were taken by the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures.
They said: “The UK government’s protective security system is rigorous and proportionate.
“It is our long-standing policy not to provide detailed information on those arrangements, as doing so could compromise their integrity and affect individuals’ security.”
Advertisement
The Home Office, the Metropolitan Police and the royal household all sit on that executive committee.
They work together to advise the independent chair in making decisions, based on expert risk assessments and in line with government policy.
Listen to Commons People, the podcast that makes politics easy. Every week, Kevin Schofield and Kate Nicholson unpack the week’s biggest stories to keep you informed. Join us for straightforward analysis of what’s going on at Westminster.
Advertisement










